I'm sure I mentioned ages ago that my FoodSaver broke. I contacted the company because the little pokey bit on the accessory broke off in my jar sealer so I haven't been able to run Betty (FD) much the last 2 months waiting for a replacement. I cannot reseal the Oxygen Absorbers without the vacuum of the machine or seal jars without the attachment. So I have only been running foraging items like Daisies, Sisal, Blackberry leaves, etc.
Although I had provided my address, somehow it was shipped to the correct address and postal code but in a different community... I dunno man, I just work here! Anyway, I advised them right away but they didn't bother to notify the shipper I guess and I then received a notice that it was delivered - but I didn't get it. I notified FoodSaver again that I hadn't received it - this was Thursday I think. FoodSaver then sent me an email that they had arranged to send me another.
Yesterday, I checked the mail just because I was passing by and there was a parcel notice. Sure enough... So I emailed my guy at FoodSaver to advise that the original was received and he could cancel the 2nd replacement.