Monday, 26 July 2021

Made it to Saskatoon

I left Dad’s Thursday morning around 9am and drove to Sault Ste Marie, ON where I parked at a Flying J (very friendly staff) and Friday am I had a shower in their facilities and headed off to Dryden, ON.

Arriving in Dryden at 4:30pm I was receiving tornado alerts on my phone. Checking the weather apps there was a break along the highway where two cells separated north and south so I pushed on to Kenora, ON with the weather clearly behind me.

Reaching Kenora at 6pm and in typical Katie fashion, I asked Siri (iphone assistant) how far it was to Winnipeg, MB… 2.5 hours, okay what time is sunset in Winnipeg? 9:30pm. Perfect, and off I went. 

I didn’t see the point of sitting 4-5 hours in the truck (I’ve slept in the truck the whole trip) so I could then sleep a few hours.

I arrived in Winnipeg at 9pm and parked up at another Flying J where after a good nights sleep I was able to have another shower and beautify myself before heading northwest to Saskatoon, SK.

Because my Daughter-in-law runs a daycare and my Mother-in-law is 82, I once again wanted a Covid rapid test to make sure I was clean so stopped in Yorkton at a drive-thru one.

In case I didn’t mention it, I had a test done before getting to Stacey’s Mum in Nova Scotia and another before getting to Dad’s in Ontario. Shopper’s Drug Mart offers them in Ontario for $40. Both were clear.

Anyway, in Yorkton after stuffing the swab waaay up my nostril he tells me they don’t do the rapid test only the pcr which takes 3-4 days to come back. At least I didn’t have to pay for that one.

Off I went to Saskatoon to get the proper rapid test so I could see my Gkids, arriving at the facility just after 2pm. Once again Negative and headed to my Mother-in-law’s.

With her tomatoes

Now - Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia have removed mask requirements since Stacey and I left but I continue to wear it anyway.

Yesterday (Sunday) I picked up my Gkids and took them to ToysRUs with a budget each and then ice cream after, which we brought back to Meg’s (Mother-in-law) so they didn’t eat it in her car.

Brad meanwhile has prepped all of the garlic he grew to feed to Betty….

And picked his first ear of what he figures is about 200 corn which he then had for supper with a juicy steak.

Meg and I had a lovely dinner perfect for this Saskatchewan heat.

Right now the plan is for me to leave here Thursday and pick Stacey up in Calgary where we will continue our journey home.

Anyone who knows me will find this cute. 
I find it priceless.


  1. Nice to see you are Safely making good time and able to Enjoy some of it with the grands.

    It's about time.

    1. We had a great time, they said it was 'the best day ever'! Nice.

  2. My goodness, what a long journey! And sleeping in a truck. Good thing you are young!

    1. Yeah, let me tell you not as I once was. Yikes its definitely not as easy as it used to be.


Some readers are reporting issues with posting comments. Please post Anonymously if necessary as we really enjoy getting each and every one. - Katie